What is the Tuition Remission program?
The Tuition Remission program was initiated to help human service employees gain access to college education to advance their careers in the field of human services. Since then, more than 400 organizations have participated in this program, helping more than 4,000 workers attend over 20,000 classes tuition-free at Massachusetts state colleges. The Providers’ Council began operating the Tuition Remission Program in the fall of 2000 upon approval from the Massachusetts Commonwealth Board of Higher Education.
How does the program work?
Eligible employees of participating organizations fill out a Certificate of Eligibility for each class they would like to take. The Certificate, which is signed by human resources and an executive at their agency, is submitted to the Providers’ Council for processing. Once the Certificate has been processed by the Council, the employee brings it to the school’s bursar office in lieu of tuition for the specified class.
Employees should be aware that:
- This program applies to state-supported, undergraduate classes at Massachusetts state colleges, community colleges, and the University of Massachusetts, upon a space availability basis.
- Processing, registration, and renewal fees are required from participating human service employers to support the administration of this program.
- Participating employees are responsible for paying all school fees and book costs. Only tuition is remitted.
- Students must check with the school registrar or bursar to find out if the school will accept tuition remission for the class before submitting a Tuition Remission Certificate of Eligibility.
- This is not a reimbursement program.
- 2020-2021 Renewal Form
- Employee FAQ
- Tuition Remission Guidelines
- For a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility, contact Patrick Daily.
How to Get Started
To begin running this program at your organization, download the Registration Form.
Are you unsure if your organization participates in Tuition Remission? Do you have questions about how the program works? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.