Start voter engagement now to ensure nonprofit votes count
Active and engaged voters affiliated with nonprofits - employees, clients, consumers, families, board members and other stakeholders - can make a difference come election time, and now is the time to start planning for 2016. In Massachusetts, the Presidential Primary is March 1, but there will also be several special elections this spring. And on Nov. 8, Election Day, not only will the presidential race and U.S. House seats be decided, but Massachusetts voters could also see as many as seven ballot questions.
The Providers' Council, through our CareVote initiative, works with national partner NonprofitVOTE in a nonpartisan effort to increase voter engagement. NPV has put together materials to help nonprofit organizations begin planning voter outreach activities for this very important election year.
Here are three things that you can do now to begin your preparations:
- Read NPV's online guide to voter outreach activities for 501(c)(3) nonprofits, Nonprofits, Voting and Elections.
- Attend a free webinar on planning your voter outreach activities for 2016 next Thursday, Jan. 21, at 2 p.m. RSVP now.
- Read the two updated checklists: "A Voter Engagement Timeline for 2016" and "Getting Started with Voter Engagement."
NPV will be releasing both of these checklists on January 21, to coincide with our webinar. When you RSVP for the webinar, you will receive an email with links to download the checklists when they come out.
Key dates to keep in mind are:
- Wednesday, Feb. 1: Last day to register to vote in March 1 Presidential Primary
- Friday, Aug. 19: Last day to register to vote in Sept. 8 State Primary
- Wednesday, Oct. 19: Last day to register to vote in Nov. 8 Presidential Election
To find out if you are registered to vote, click here. For more information about CareVote and nonprofit voter engagement, contact the Providers' Council at 617.428.3637.